Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Is Disneyland really the happiest place on earth?

Ugh. My inlaws have declared that in lieu of regular Christmas we are going on a family trip. This is good news. We have never attempted anything like a family trip, so I support this bold new step toward Utah style togetherness. The Ugh is for the Disneyland thing. There are 16 adults and five children that will be going on this adventure. The oldest child is in Kindergarten. and two of the children are actually babies. So is this really the best place for us to go? I have mixed emotions.
I haven't been since I was 12. And it was decent then.
Husband has seething hatred for Disneyland which is founded by nothing legitimate, unless "hating kids called Hunter and Trekker, and all their fat parents and grandparents" counts. I don't think this counts, but hearing Husband cite this repeatedly is so annoying that it is indeed beginning to count. Points for consistency.
I am open to the possibility that it may actually be fun for us. Who knows.
However, the pro Disney movement suffered a setback when my brother in law tried to persuade husband on the basis that Disneyland is so fun for his kids, and "don't we like seeing how much fun his kids are having?" Ummm -No.
I love my cute little nieces and nephews so much. But voyeuristic parenting does not bring satisfaction. Sorry. And who are you trying to kid? I know you also love your nieces and nephews but would you really want to spend the day on its a small world or dumbo strictly to see the joy on their little faces? I doubt it. I submit the hypothesis that parental love is a lot different than Auntie love. As it should be.
And truthfully, I know some wierd grown ups who go to Disneyland pre children. But husband and I are not that kind of people. We are the kind of people who probably, eventually, will suck it up so we can see a big smile light up our little Hunter/Trekker's face as he bobs up and down on Dumbo. But eventually is a long way away and it makes me so sad.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I have never been to Disney Land. Or Disney World. Would husband be as annoyed if Hunter and Trekker's parents were skinny? Just wondering.

The Genetic Mule said...

Yes, if the parents were skinny then they would be "vain crack addicts", like all the other skinny people at Disneyland. Husband does not discriminate in his Disney hating.

Sarah said...

I love that guy.